This Moorish Revival Castle was built in 1888 by Henry Flagler and originally named Casa Monica, for St. Monica, the North African mother of St. Augustine for which the City was named. The Hotel closed in 1932 and in 1962 was purchased by St. John's County to be used as a Courthouse. The Kessler Collection purchased the property in 1997 and restored it to its original condition and magnificent beauty and reopened it as the Casa Monica Hotel once again. The Hotel is located in the center of downtown St. Augustine close to restaurants, shops and other Historic sites.
Many say that Henry Flagler haunts this Hotel. Visitors have reported seeing footprints on carpets in empty rooms, lights shutting off and on, doors locking and unlocking, the sounds of whispering in the hallways and a figure of a white man dressed in a 1920's black and grey striped suit walking in the halls and lobby of the hotel.